4/4/21 Essential Doctrines-Lesson 22 Review
Let’s Straighten It Out Church!
As we know confusion was running rampant in the Corinthian church because of their abuse of speaking in unknown tongues. The more excellent way, the completed written revelation of the word of God had arrived. And Paul issued corrective doctrine in, 14:23 “if the whole church become together in one place, and you all speak with unknown tongues and the unlearned, or unbelievers come in and hear this confusion, will they not say, these people are all crazy gone mad?
1. So, Paul points out the foolishness of speaking in unknown tongues IN the church, in view of the design and the purpose of the local church. The design of the local church is the edification of the members. Now, to be fair there were some members who naturally spoke a 2nd or 3rd language. They were not abusing this skill in the church. The problem was Satan’s own ministers were counterfeiting tongues in the local church, along with the fakers.
2. The bottom line is this, no one can be edified, built up, by a person speaking in a language no one can understand in a local church. The local assembly is a classroom for the communication of sound doctrine that results in the edification of believers. As Paul begins to straighten the Saints out by corrective doctrine, the fakers began to be singled out, and that is the power of the word rightly divided, it separates and singles out false teaching/doctrine. Paul is teaching, that speaking in tongues does not function in a local church in the dispensation of grace. So given this corrective doctrine, anyone speaking in tongues in the local church is out of order and is going to be marked and avoid. It is not of God!
3. But in 14:1, Paul says something interesting “I rather you may all prophecy.” Paul did not mean that he wished they all had the gift of prophecy, which is to receive a message by revelation from God. But rather Paul meant that having heard the message from God, from the person with the gift of prophesy, you all can prophesy, preach that same message that the whole church be edified. And if an unbeliever, or the unlearned comes in & hears you all prophesy/preaching
the same word of God, he or she will be convinced and fall down and worship God, and will testify, witness God is among you. Amen!
4. Vs.27. HERE ARE THE RULES: “if any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course (orderly process); and let ONE interpret. Paul teaches tongues & gifts (while they were still functioning) must be used with orderly restraint, and ONLY if an interpreter is present. There should be groups of two or three, and ONE of them should be in the interpreter.
Vs. 28, “But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silent in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. If there be no interpreter (simple/stupid) the tongue speaker should keep quiet. He should speak privately to himself and God.
Vs. 31, “for Ye may all prophecy (preach) 1 by 1, that all may learn and, all may be comforted, edified. The goal of fellowship, God be glorified and the church edified
Vs 32. “And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.” Meaning that you should be in control of your fleshy spirit & emotions, and they should not control you! We are “constrained by the love of God,” “transformed by the renewing of our minds,” We are not ruled by impulsive emotions! Religious folk call it “getting happy” (now that sounds ludicrous in light of right division!)
Vs 33. “for God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the Saints. (God is a God of order and peace, Satan is the author of confusion).
Vs.37. Paul continues “if any man (in congregation) think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord. (let that man recognize & acknowledge that Apostle Paul is writing the things that the Lord commanded him to write, because Paul was their & our apostle appointed by Christ. *First, Recognize Pauline Authority.
1Tim. 6:3-5, “If any man teach otherwise, (teach no other doctrine) and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; (4) he is proud, knowing nothing, but
doting about questions and (conflict) of words, where of comes envy, strife, railings, evil ‘imaginations,(5) Improper disputing’s of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thy self. .
Vs. 38, “But if a man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.” Paul is saying, you may not be able to help everybody, if anyone does not want to agree with the fact that the
Lord is speaking through Paul, then let them remain “ignorant, destitute of the truth” and uninformed of what Christ is doing in his heavenly ministry through Paul.
5. Even MBOC would be so duped by SPOE and by their own emotions that they prefer to stay in ignorance than go by the truth. And sadly, that is the case today. And, unfortunately the CBOC is going to have to leave some behind, destitute of the truth. Now because the excellent way has come , God is out of the spiritual gifts, signs, wonders, and spiritual phenomina business. His spirit is working through the completed written revelation of his word today, What will abide, will be faith, hope, and charity, for the balance of this dispensation of grace. Amen.
6. But although God has stopped all spiritual gifts, the adversary has not! 2 Cor. 11 : The corrective doctrine has had positive results in the assembly. Paul has been acknowledged by most, but there still are some in the congregation who rebelled against the truth. Some Saints ignored Paul. And as a result, they were deceived by Satan and his ministers. They would be taken in by false apostles, deceitful workers, and just like today the adversary was counterfeiting the power of God with these deceitful workers.
7. 11:1-4, Paul was afraid for them, that they would be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. Paul writes, “For if he that cometh (SPOE, and his ministers , false apostles, deceitful workers, preaching another Jesus, whom we have not preached, receiving another spirit, another gospel, that’s what Paul was afraid of! The goal of Satan is to move you away from the Liberty that you have under grace, and seduce you back under Israel’s program, back under the
law where you will be back under bondage again, miserable, corrupting the truth so spiritual edification won’t take place.
8. “For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, they transform themselves into Angels of light (silver tongue preachers). Do not be amazed because Satan himself is transformed into an Angel of light. Satan is deceiving believers in this dispensation of grace. How?
Vs15. Therefore, it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness. Paul wants us to know Satan is no longer an Angel of darkness! He has changed! Satan recognizes that God isn’t dealing with man the same under grace as he did w/ Israel, under the law. So, Satan has also changed his tactics/strategy.
Bro. Blades said something very true: he said Satan admits something that most believers today won’t admit. *Satan knows the difference between the two programs, prophecy a mystery. Most of Christiandom won’t admit it!
9. Yes, God has ceased spiritual gifts today! Even Paul lost ability to heal. Paul couldn’t even heal himself! 12: 6-10 “there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the Messenger of Satan to torture me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing pray to the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And he said unto me (Paul) my grace is sufficient for thee for my strength is made perfect in (your) weakness. And here’s the rest of the story folks:
I can say along with Paul, since the most excellent way has come, since Paul completed the written revelation of the word of God, “most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore, I take pleasure in my infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ sake: for when I am weak then am I strong. And FINALLY, because we have the completed written revelation of God, WE CAN SAY ALONG WITH PAUL
“We have this treasure (the complete written revelation of the word of God) in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power maybe of God, and not of us.” We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;
…though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. For our light affliction, for our light affliction, for a light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory. HOW? THE MORE EXCELLENT WAY HAS ARRIVED!
Why preacher? Because the more excellent way has arrived!