Essential Doctrines-Lesson 8, (Rom.11:25)
Theme: “I Would Not Have You Ignorant of Israel & The Mystery (God’s previous hidden plan).
INTRO: In our lesson today, Pauline authority and godly edification are again on display as Paul magnifies his God given office, as the Apostle of the Gentiles. In chapters 9 , 10, and 11 of Romans, Paul explains the great dispensational change that happened to Israel, and brought in the dispensation of Gentile grace now in effect. Paul’s goal today, in breaking down this doctrine, is because God does not want us MBOC, to be ignorant of the truth of what really happened to Israel. Thus, Paul deals with questions of men that are based in ignorance because of prior misinformation. Prior knowledge that comes from corrupt doctrine, the “doctrine of devils” and if not corrected, “sears (scorches) the conscious.” Paul wants us to “renew our minds” with sound doctrine concerning Israel and the Mystery. Particularly, “the blindness in part is happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles become in.” (1 Tim. 4:1-3; Rom. 12:3).
1. Paul’s focus, is on a key phrase in vs 25. “Lest Ye be wise in your own conceits” (guided by your own opinion, human viewpoint) concerning the (temporary) blindness in part, that is happened to Israel. Apostle Paul Is saying, we grace believers can be clear on, rightly dividing the word, clear on, “we are not spiritual Israel,” but unless we are completely clear, firm, and have a good understanding of Israel’s (temporary) blindness we can become “wise in our own conceits.” Problems come to the surface when this happens, such as becoming conceited, high minded, puffed up, with head knowledge.
2. Paul reminds us in Romans 12:16 of “walking worthy,” “be of the same mind one to another, mind not high things, (what high things Paul? “every high thing (human wisdom, corrupt doctrine) that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God.” but condescend, (come down) to men of low estate.” In other words, live in harmony, in mutual faith with one another. Do not become haughty, conceited, puffed up, or self- important, do not overestimate ourselves. (Rom. 10:5; 1:12).
3. Paul is going to help us today, to “bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.” That includes thinking properly of ourselves, “be not high minded, thinking more highly of ourselves then other body members (remember the weaker brother concept?) Paul knew that this new information about the mystery, the hidden wisdom of God, can go to our heads, puff us up, and miss our hearts, our inner man, where the doctrine is designed to “work effectually as we believe” it. Rom. 14:1; 1 Cor. 2:7; 1 Thess. 2:13).
4. Romans 12:16, Paul gives us some doctrine to live by, “Be of the same mind (mutual faith w/ Paul) and one another.” Value and esteem MCBOC more highly than ourselves. Paul says “condescend,” make sure we humble ourselves, and do not lord over, or patronize, or talk down to another body member.(Remember “let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt (doctrine), so we know how to answer everyman.” Paul says, “condescend” saints. All edification (Spiritual growth) is not at the same level in BOC. We are always going to have,” weak brethren in the faith,” with us. But remember, the biggest test for each of us in BOC, is how we value & esteem, display agape love in the direction of each other.
5. Brother blades said something interesting and very real. We as grace believers are guilty of NOT studying Israel’s program as we should. God is not finished with Israel. God is going to resume Israel’s program and fulfill His covenant promises with Israel, afterthe fullness of the Gentiles become in. God wants us to understand Israel’s program as well as the dispensation of grace. That is why Paul says in Romans 15:4 “For whatsoever things were written aforetime (Time Past) were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.”
6. 1 Thess. 5:14” Warn them that there are unruly, “wise in their own conceits” (opinions). So, being wise your own conceit, will make you not only unruly, but disobedient to Pauline authority and godly edification, and you won’t study Israel’s program, and you wil produce corrupt fruit, and “vain imaginations.” And another thing, Paul did not say in 15: 4, these things that were written aforetime, were written for our (obedience,) NO!
They were written for our LEARNING, for our edification, so we will understand & gain an appreciation for what God has done in time past, what God is doing now, and what He is going to do in the future dispensation. The “dispensation of the fullness of times” when God is going “gather together all things in Christ, both the mystery program in heaven, and the Kingdom program on the earth, in one body, under the headship of the Lord Jesus Christ,” and we will function together as one unit in eternity. (Eph. 1:10; 3:10-12).
7.. Meanwhile, if we ARE NOT “wise in our own conceits,” we will see TIME differently! We will see time like Paul with an urgency! “And that knowing the time.” Romans 9, 10, 11, told us about the time. We are living in this present time of suffering, the dispensation of grace. Israel’s program is temporarily suspended, and we don’t have the guarantee of another day. The dispensation of grace has no time calendar, no time schedule, like Israel. But God in his infinite wisdom, mercy, grace, and longsuffering, has extended the dispensation of grace another day. (Thank God for one more sunny day of His marvelous grace). (Rom. 13:11; 8:18).
8.. Paul said in Rom. 13:11, “It is high time (it’s past time) for sleeping, complacency. Notice the urgency, time is running out, and we’re not getting any younger, we’re getting older and weaker, & we have a short time to live on earth. Paul is saying: “WAKE UP! “For now is our Salvation nearer then when we first believed.” WAKE UP! The night is far spent, the Day of Christ is at hand: Rapture! Rom. 13:12
9. “KNOWING THE TIME,” Let us cast off works of darkness and let us put on the armor of light “KNOWING THE TIME,” We are not wise in our own conceits, because we know the TIME! (Rom. 13:12).
When I was in the world folks, in my flesh, I was a follower of Malcolm X, (Now, I said I was lost, in my flesh.) But I can remember the statement very clearly. Malcolm X was obsessed with his watch, obsessed with time. And he said, (paraphrasing) “I have no patience with a man who doesn’t wear a watch, for this type of man is not time conscious. In all our deeds, the proper value and respect for time determines success or failure.” (And this was a lost man, but he knew the value of time, Saints.)
10. Is it any wonder, Our Apostle, appointed from Heaven’s glory, is Declaring to us the urgency of the Time. Paul said, NOW THAT YOU KNOW THE TIME: “Let us walk honestly, as in the “Day of Christ.“ TIME OUT For rioting, TIME OUT for drunkenness, TIME OUT for sexual sins, TIME OUT for irresponsibility, envy & strife. (Rom. 13:13).
11. Paul is urging us to “KNOW THE TIME & REDEEM THE TIME!” My daddy used to sing a song, and it makes so much sense to me now. He used to sing “this may be my last TIME, I don’t know.” Paul is saying “WAKE UP SAINTS: “We have this treasure in earthen vessels, the gospel of the grace of God, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us. WAKE UP CHURCH! God has extended the dispensation of grace and given to us ANOTHER CHANCE. (Eph. 5:16).
Oh yes, brother Mike and I know a thing or two about, Another chance! We had a serious life threatning event. And when we use to work out at the gym, Mike would sing “Thank God for Another Chance.“ For extending the dispensation of grace one more sunny day! Thank God, He is a God of “all comfort,” A God of “Another Chance.” “My grace is sufficient for, my strength is made perfect in weakness
So we can say along with Paul: “Unto me who am less then the least of All Saints is this grace given, that I should preach among ALL MEN, the unsearchable riches of Christ, and to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world have hid in God who created all things by Jesus. “MY PRAYER, IS THAT WE NEVER BECOME WISE IN OUR OWN CONCIETS & WE WILL ALWAYS BE OF THE SAME MIND & VALUE & ESTEEM ONE ANOTHER, “WAKE UP CHURCH!“ ANOTHER CHANCE! (Eph. 3:8-9). THANKING GOD, FOR ANOTHER CHANCE:
Another Chance, to be “Ambassadors for Christ.” Another Chance, to be a witness for Christ. Another Chance, to open my mouth boldly, and make all men see the Mystery of Christ.