1. Jesus Christ is the object of our faith, the moment we trusted Christ as our Substitute Redeemer, we became IDENTIFIED (recognized) as children of God by faith. And then, in the same moment, there was the mechanical means by which this ID took place. Colossians 2:12 teaches us that It was by the OPERATION OF GOD, the BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, which IDENTIFIED us, recognized & placed us “IN CHRIST.” We were baptized into His death, into His burial & resurrection & then SEALED, so now we are a new creation, enabled to walk in the newness of life. “To serve in the newness of spirit and not the oldness of the letter (law) Romans 7:6 .”
And now that we understand the mechanical means by which we were put “INTO CHRIST,” “IDENTIFIED with CHRIST, now we are to “PUT ON CHRIST.” In other words, live like we KNOW who we are “IN CHRIST.” And act like we KNOW what we possess “IN CHRIST.” God has blessed us to possess SPIRITUAL BLESSINGS that are worth far more than anything this material world has to offer.
2. Our Apostle Paul reminds us: Eph 1:3; “Blessed be the God & Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ.” We received these spiritual blessings the moment we trusted Christ as our personal Saviour. We were justified, unto eternal life, sanctified & exalted, raised up and seated with Christ & given all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ. These spiritual blessings have been given to us FREELY & PERMANENTLY & we can NEVER lose them. We, the BOC, unlike Israel, cannot SEE these spiritual blessings with our physical eyes, but we SEE them with our spiritual EYE of FAITH (Heb.11:1). “For we walk by faith, and not by sight” (2 Cor. 5:7). We find in Paul’s epistles alone, 120 spiritual blessings. Here are few of our spiritual blessings in Romans : (31 blessings in Romans)+
3. In Rom. 1:7 we are “called to be saints ” Rom. 3:22 “God’s righteousness was imputed to us.” Rom. 3:24 we were “justified freely by God’s grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.” Rom. 4:7 “our iniquities are forgiven and we are covered by the blood of Jesus.” Rom. 5:1 we are “justified by faith.” & we have “peace with God through our L.J.C..” Rom. 5:2 we “have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand.” Rom. 5:9 we are “justified by the blood of Christ & saved from the wrath to come.”Rom. 5:10 we are “reconciled to God by the death of His Son & we are saved by His life.”” Rom.5:11 we have “received the atonement.” Rom. 6:3 we have been “baptized into JC and into His death.”
I’m talking about this Treasure we have In Earthen Vessels, Our Spiritual Blessings in Heavenly Places, in Christ! OUR IDENTITY
4. Rom. 6:5 we have been “planted together in the likeness of Jesus Christ’s death & resurrection.” Rom. 6:6 “our old man has been crucified with Christ.” Rom. 6:8 & 11 “I am “alive unto God through J.C. our Lord .Rom. 6:14 “I am no longer under the law, but under grace.” ”Rom. 6:18 “I am free from sin & it’s dominion over me.” Rom.6:23 we have “eternal life through J.C. our Lord.” Rom.7:4 we are “dead to the law,” dead to religion, a performance based acceptance system. Rom. 8:14 we are “sons of God.” Rom. 8:15 we have “received the Spirit of adoption.” Romans 8:16 we are the “children of God.” Rom. 8:17 we are “heirs of God and joint-heirs with Christ.” Rom.8:28; we are “called according to God’s purpose.” Rom. 8:29 we were “foreknown and predestined to be conformed to the image of God the Son.” Rom. 8:30 we were “justified by grace & glorified by His Spirit.” & finally in Rom. 8:37 “we are more than conquerors through Christ that loved us.”
THESE ARE JUST A FEW OF OUR “SPIRITUAL BLESSINGS IN HEAVENLY PLACES, IN CHRIST,” THAT ARE FOUND IN THE FOUNDATIONAL BOOK OF ROMANS
**I would imagine “All Spiritual Blessings in Heavenly Places, in Christ” is what the songwriter was thinking of, when he dipped his pen in the fountain of divine inspiration & wrote these words:
1. “Blessed assurance, Jesus (All spiritual blessings in heavenly places are mine;) is mine. Oh what a foretaste of glory divine. I’m an Heir of salvation, I’ve been purchased of God, I’ve been Born of His Spirit, I’ve been washed in His Blood.
2. Perfect submission, perfect delight, visions of rapture now burst on my sight. Watching and waiting, looking above. Filled with His goodness, lost in His love. Oh, Oh,
This is MY story, this is MY song, praising MY Savior all the day long!