2/21/21 Essential Doctrines – Lesson # 18
(4th Lesson) “Spiritual Gifts” 1 Cor. 12:28-31
As we study todays lesson, we are reminded that spiritual gifts in the early CBOC, at the beginning of this disp. of grace, were for ministry & worship. God gave the gifts for the purpose of BOC to be edified, & God to be glorified.
1. But as you recall, “the spirit of confusion” raised its ugly head (SPOE attacked) in the local assembly. Why? Because of their ignorance (lack of knowledge, awareness) about (1). The “diversity” (distribution) of the different gifts, by the Holy Spirit. (2). the “administration” (management) of the gifts, by the Lord Jesus Christ. (3). they were ignorant of the “diversities (different functions) of the operations of the gifts, by God, the Father. (You see, God had an agenda, God had His Will, that He wanted accomplished through these early members CBOC).
2. But these carnal Corinthians saints were ignorant of what God was doing. (Just like most believers today). Why? Because people do not follow God’s design for studying the Bible in 2 Timothy 2:15. They do not “rightly divide the word of truth.” Satan, as in the early BOC, wants to keep saints Blind to RD!
3. Paul was in the process of receiving “the revelation of the mystery,” in parts. Paul knew it would not be long before he would receive the whole, complete, revelation and when he did, he would add the 13 epistles, and the word of God would be complete. There would be no more need for sign gifts.
4. Of course, WE KNOW who “rightly divide the word of truth,” that the sign gifts have been done away with today. Why? Because, we have the complete Canon (Body) of scriptures now. The complete word of God, in our hands, in English, in the King James Bible. Which contains Paul’s “my gospel,” “the preaching of JC , according to the revelation of the mystery. (Rom. 16:25). And Paul told us in Eph. 3:4, “whereby, when you read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ.” So, Paul wrote chps. 12, 13, 14 as corrective doctrine to the infant church at Corinth, & the BOC today, to straighten us out concerning “Spiritual Gifts.”
5. As we learned from studying 1 Cor. 12 Chp. The problem was that these saints were ignorant, (unaware) of the real purpose for each gift. And, they were ignorant of how to rank the gifts. In other words, they did not know the proper placement or the order of the gifts in relation to other gifts. So, Paul had to educate them. (They were using the gifts out of order. Which was Satan’s goal then, & it still is, in the BOC Today). Again, saints in the infant CBOC were ignorant of the purpose & ranking of gifts. And saints are still ignorant now!
So, Paul puts these 8 gifts listed in VS. 28, in their proper order: 1. Apostles 2. Prophets 3. Teachers, then Miracles, Gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. Paul put these 8 gifts in 5 different groups of operations. Ranking them from first to last in order of importance.
# 1. FIRST OPERATION: consisted of the most important gifts. The Operation of the “Communication Gifts.” Communication gifts were for: A. Communication of God’s word. #1 Apostles, #2 Prophets, #3 Teachers. B. These three operated (functioned) in the local assembly and were for godly edification (education) of the saints (BOC). Communication Gifts: “Instruction in righteousness” within the local assembly. (2 Tim. 3:16).
# 2. SECOND OPERATION: consisted of, “The Operation of “Miracles.” Miracles had absolutely nothing to do with communication of the word of God. Miracles did not function in the local assembly. Well, what were miracles for? A. Miracles were to confirm that God was in reality TURNING TO the Gentiles and the dispensation of grace (the great dispensational change) was now in effect. According to Rom. 15:16: God is now “offering up of the Gentiles.” The Holy Ghost was setting the Gentiles apart. B. But why did Paul perform miracles? That is a Good question! Apostle Paul had a gift of “working special miracles by his hands.” Because when God postponed the Kingdom program (Acts 7 stoned Stephen), the best supernatural sign gifts were briefly carried over into the dispensation of grace. Why? To verify to the Jews that Paul’s ministry was from God. (Acts 15:12; 19:11-12, 15-16) (When you go home read Acts 19:11-16). Yes, special miracles were given to Paul and he used handkerchiefs and aprons to drive diseases and
evil spirits from people. (And this is where Satan’s counterfeit faith healers get “healing handkerchiefs, aprons, prayer rugs, oils etc. from). The Holy Spirit gave
Paul and others, mighty signs (sight gifts), and wonders, to convince the Jews that Paul’s ministry was
indeed from God, and the miracles were a testimony, that God had TURN TO THE GENTILES.
# 3. THE THIRD OPERATION: consisted of, “the Operation of Gifts of Healings.” This gift operated (functioned) outside of the local assembly! The “Operation of healings” is different from the communication gifts. And they were different from the Operation of Miracles, which were confirmation or proofs of God TURNING TO Gentiles and that the great dispensational change was on display. A. This third Operation of Gifts of Healings was confirmation, or proof, that God was TURNING FROM Israel and was a testimony TO Israel. B. In the four gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, is the record of the “Climatic Stage” or (Turning point). It was in the 5th course of Israel’s punishment, and the 4th installment, of Jesus earthly ministry. Signs, wonders, and miracles were “Signs of the Times,” the” Kingdom of heaven was at hand.” It was an indication that Israel’s Messiah, Israel’s King is here! C. When Israel’s God, Messiah, King would arrive, there would be 2 hallmark blessings: 1. The removal of physical ailments through gifts of healing and 2. The removal of unclean spirits. These would be in harmony with the two hallmark blessings the prophets declared that Israel would possess when the Messiah reigned on the earth. D. These healings in the 4 gospels, as well as in Isaiah 35 chp. were Kingdom blessings, designed for Israel only! Evidence that God had come to visit Israel. E. But, at the beginning of the dispensation of grace, God TURNED FROM ISRAEL (because of unbelief, and put their program in abeyance, on hold) and TURNED TO THE GENTILES. God then took Israel’s “Gifts of Healings” and gave them to the Gentiles in the new program of “the dispensation of Gentile grace” that is now in effect.
# 4. THE FOURTH OPERATION: consisted of “the Operation of Local Assembly Order.” Order matters in the local assembly for functional life. Which consisted
A. “Helps,” or helpers (vs 10). Are those who, spoke by inspiration, interpreters of those speaking in other tongues (Order). “Governments,” are Those in the early church that regulated the acceptance of certain spiritual powers & rejection of others.
This brings us to the 5th and final Operation. # 5. THE FIFTH OPERATION: consisted of “the Operation of Diversities of Tongues
A. Tongues were a final sign from God, to unbelieving Israel! (Now get this!) B. NOTICE: When tongues operated in the local assembly or (church) it produced disorder! The role of the gift of tongues was NOT designed to be in the local assembly. (That is why Satan loves to counterfeit speaking in tongues in the church. *BECAUSE TONGUES WERE NEVER DESIGNED TO BE IN THE CHURCH! C. 1 Cor. 14:18-19, Paul says: “I thank my God: I speak with tongues more than ye all: (outside the church). 19. “yet IN the church I had rather speak 5 words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than 10,000 words in an unknown tongue. ”Speaking in an unknown tongue had nothing to do with what goes on in a local assembly. **D. 1 Cor. 14:22 is the ONLY verse in the Bible that tells what tongues are for:
“Wherefore TONGUES are for a SIGN NOT TO THEM THAT BELIEVE, but to them that BELIEVE NOT.” God was displeased with Israel. NOTICE: And the Gentiles began speaking to Israel (as they were diminishing) with other tongues. THIS IS A CLEAR SIGN THAT SPEAKING IN TONGUES HAD NO ROLE IN THE CHURCH! E. 1 Thess. 2:14-16, Paul shows God’s displeasure with unbelieving Israel. And then God declares His “wrath will come upon them to the uttermost. ”This was the final sign to unbelieving Israel. And speaking in tongues WAS that final sign.
FINALLY: Paul says, in vs 31, “To the early church covet (desire) the best gifts (which are apostles, prophets, & teachers). Desire the communication gifts within the local assembly! A. Knowledge of the ranking, of the function of the operation gifts, takes care of the confusion in the local assembly. Paul urges them to focus on godly edification of God’s word. That puts Apostles, Prophets and Teachers in their proper ranking in early CBOC. 1. Some of these gifts are going to be done away with during this dispensation of grace. They were TEMPORARY to begin with!
The operations that will continue in this dispensation of grace today are: Evangelists, Pastors & Teachers! ALL OTHER GIFTS HAVE BEEN DONE AWAY WITH! THEY DO NOT EXIST TODAY!
1. Communication of God’s word and 2. The Local assembly order, are the Operations that are active in the disp. of grace today! “But covet the best gifts: I will show you A MORE EXCELLENT WAY: THE COMPLETE WORD OF GOD! The 13 epistles of Paul. Romans-Philemon. Which contain “The Revelation of the Mystery of Christ,” which we hold in our hands & hide in our hearts. COMPLETE!
***This concludes my review. Now I know that is a lot of information to retain. But I post my review notes on my blog weekly, “The Dispensation of Grace” located on the Churches website. Or you can go straight to my website.
* Both websites are imbedded on your weekly invitations (Thank you Sis. Tamika). The information on the website is there for you. Apostle Paul wrote these letters, Chps 12, 13, 14 so that we are equipped to defend the doctrine, to correct folk who might be confused about spiritual gifts today. And most importantly, that MCBOC are not confused! And Do not take my word!
BE like the Bereans; “Who received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.” Acts 17:11
*Now, there may be someone listening that is not saved! It is dangerous to be lost, especially in times like these. Well, permit me to explain the Simplicity of the gospel to you.
GOD LOVES YOU AND CHRIST DIED FOR YOUR SINS!
The Problem: We are born in sin. All men are sinners, disobedient by nature. The Penalty: Sin separates from God; “the wages of sin is death” in Lake of fire The Good News: “The gift of God is eternal life through JC our Lord.” Christ died for all our sins, past, present, and future. “He who knew no sin was made to be sin for us, that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. 2 Cor. 5:21. WHAT MUST I DO TO BE SAVED? Believe right where you are, by faith, Christ died on the cross for your sins* and was buried and rose again the third day** to have ALL your sins forgiven and have everlasting life. 1 Cor. 15:1-4.