Theme: “I Would Not Have You Ignorant.”
Purpose: Satan’s policy of evil wants to keep the believer ignorant about what God is doing today in the dispensation of Gentile grace now in effect. Intended results: “doctrinal corruption.”
A. There are six (6) verses in Paul’s epistles where he states, “I would not have you ignorant brethren.”
1. Romans 1:13; PAULINE AUTHORITY AND GODLY EDIFICATION:
Vss. 1-5, Paul’s Apostleship.
Vss. 6-12, Paul’s Purpose
Vss. 13-15, Connection with purpose “(but was let hitherto)” meaning: I have been prevented so far to visit you, so I am writing this letter, with God’s purpose in my heart.
Vss. 16-17, Fulfillment of purpose, “ready to preach.” Desire fruit among saints, Godly Edification.
2. Romans 11:25; ISRAEL AND MYSTERY: Gentiles and the Body of Christ are cautioned today, do not be ignorant of what God has done with Israel, both on a national and dispensational level, in view of the Mystery. There is no such thing as “spiritual Israel.” This is the most obvious mistake, believers make.
3. 1 Corinthians 10:1-6; GODLY SANCTIFICATION: (vs. 6 “examples”). Learn from Israel and Corinthians mistakes and rebellion. Study Israel’s example as they came out of Egypt. “we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.”
4. 1 Corinthians 12:1; SPIRITUAL GIFTS: (Chapters 12,13,14). If we do not understand the doctrine of gifts we will be duped, confused, and deceived by the Satanic plan of evil.
5. 2 Corinthians 1:8; SUFFERINGS FOR CHRIST: (vss. 1-8). “God of all comfort.” (3 types of suffering).
6. 1 Thessalonians 4:13; DEATH, THE RAPTURE, AND THE LORD’S DAY: All three of these doctrines are commonly under attack from the adversary, causing saints to be “tossed to and fro.” The confusion concerning these doctrines is rampant. Believers (saints) are living disappointed, disenchanted lives.
“LEST SATAN SHOULD GET AN ADVANTAGE OF US: FOR WE ARE NOT IGNORANT OF HIS DEVICES.”
2 Corinthians 2:11
1. Romans 1:13: “Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that I oftentimes I purposed to come unto you, (but was let hitherto,) that I might have some fruit among you also, even as among other Gentiles.”
2. Romans 11:25: “For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part has happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.”
3. 1 Corinthians 10:1: “Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;”
4. 1 Corinthians 12:1: “Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.”
5. 2 Corinthians 1:8: “For we would not, brethren, have you ignorant of our trouble which came to us in Asia, that we were pressed out of measure, above strength, insomuch that we were despaired even of life.”
6. IThessalonians 4:13: “But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.”
“Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.”
2 Corinthians 2:11