Lesson # 2 (Review) 1 Cor. 15:21-22; Gal. 3:26
1. Last week we started a six week study familiarizing ourselves with the concept of what it means to be “in Christ,” our identification, and after we are “in Christ” what it means to “put on Christ.”
Gal, 3:26; “ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.”
2. Brother Blades reminds us, do not forget the key. The “Key” that gives us liberty to live a successful, functionally alive, grace life, depends upon if we really understand and appreciate who God has made us to be in Christ. Solomon writes in Proverbs 4:7; “Wisdom is the principle thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. (Let us pray that we will always desire Godly wisdom, and knowledge of God’s will, and spiritual understanding). Col. 1:9
After we get a Godly understanding of who we are in Christ, then we must allow the Word of God“ (rightly divided) to “effectually work” in our inner man. “Renewing our minds,” building up an edifice of doctrine that produces the life of Christ. That IS “putting on Christ,” saints! Then we will be able to” think like God the father, walk like God the Son, and co-labor with God the Holy Spirit!
3. Paul refers to the two federal heads in 1 Cor. 15:22; “For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.” The best way to understand and appreciate our position/identity Is to compare our identity “in Christ” to our identity “in Adam.“
4. IN TIME PAST, we “were dead in trespasses and sins.” We “walked according to the course of this world,” We were “the children of disobedience.” We “were by nature the children of wrath.” Eph. 2:2-3. We were IN ADAM!
5. IN TIME PAST, IN ADAM: We were condemned by God’s justice. We were UNDER sin, with no righteousness that God would or could accept. We were enemies of GOD. BUT NOW, GOOD NEWS, IN CHRIST: “There is now no condemnation to them that are in Christ. We are now justified until eternal life.” Rom. 8:1
6. IN TIME PAST, IN ADAM: We were a (disgusting) abomination in our walk and our conduct. We were the servants of sin, dead to righteousness, following the course of this world. BUT NOW, (under grace) GOOD NEWS, IN CHRIST: We are sanctified and bear fruit unto holiness.
7. IN TIME PAST, IN ADAM: We were alienated (separated) from God, twice dead Gentiles in the flesh, we belonged to Satan, we were good citizens of his kingdom. We were Satan’s glory. BUT NOW, (under grace) IN CHRIST: We are exalted with God in Christ. We have been “delivered from the power/darkness & translated into the kingdom of His dear Son, in whom we have redemption through His blood, and forgiveness of sins.” (Col. 1:13).
8. When we heard the “good news” the gospel of “the grace of God, that bringeth salvation, hath appeared unto all men” & by faith trusted the Lord Jesus Christ & His redemptive work on the cross, how he paid the penalty for our sins and satisfied God’s justice. To God be the glory! God’s justice responded to our faith, and God took us out of Adam, and we are no longer under condemnation, no longer an abomination, no longer alienated from God, no longer afar off.
9. “BUT NOW, In Christ Jesus, ye who sometimes were FAR OFF are made nigh (close) by the blood of Christ.” (Eph. 2:13). justification has replaced condemnation, sanctification has replaced abomination,
exaltation has replaced alienation, and you were PUT INTO Christ, BY THE OPERATION OF GOD the HOLY SPIRIT, BY BAPTISM (the mechanical means), purification unto sanctification, and you were (BAPTIZED) PUT INTO CHRIST and given a new IDENTITY (ID)! You now have the DNA of Christ! IDENTIFICATION!.
Baptism = Purification + Sanctification + Identification = IN CHRIST!
10. Saints, we have a new name that came down from glory, and a new identification (ID). “Therefore, if any man be “in Christ,” he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.” 2 Cor. 5:17).
Paul says since you know who you are “in Christ,” “put on Christ,” live like the saints that you are!