The Edification of Romans
“Wrath Consciousness” #7
Romans 1:15-17; 18-32
Romans 1:15-5: 21 The First Cornerstone: Establishing the believer in the doctrine of our justification by grace through faith: The goal of the first Cornerstone is the complete knowledge of our perfect judicial standing before God having trusted Christ our Savior, and total assurance in the eternal nature of that judicial standing.
When you get to the end of Romans, 5th chapter, God through the pen of Apostle Paul, expects for you to possess complete knowledge, a good understanding, and the total assurance of your judicial standing as a Justified Saint, before God.
16. “So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.
17. For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
18. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from Faith to Faith: as it is written, the just shall live by faith.”
I. The doctrinal objective for the writing of this letter is to establish (lay the foundation) the Romans saints (1:11-12, KJV). They were already saved (1 Tim. 2:4, KJV). Paul was now ready to preach (teach) the gospel. Paul knew the gospel of the grace of God contained power, not only to save, but power to establish the believer, meaning, “lay the foundation of doctrinal edification (education).” Preaching the gospel is designed to produce salvation, and, complete awareness and assurance in your eternal judicial standing, before God. God’s response to your faith in the gospel of the grace of God, is the free gift of salvation, imputed righteousness, and judicial Justification.
- Paul expresses thanksgiving to God for the Roman saints positive response to the gospel. Their faith is spoken of throughout the whole world (1:8, KJV) . “The word of God, was effectually (power of God) working in them as they believed.” (1 Thess. 2:13, KJV).
- “The righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith (1:17, Heb. 11, KJV) ”God responds to faith and faith alone. Faith produces the eternal possession of justification (righteousness), imputed to the believers account. The gospel of the grace of God has the capacity to produce faithful ambassadors. Perfected saints who have the ability to go out and preach (evangelize) the gospel, the power of God unto salvation, and establish souls.
II. Three parts to the gospel. (1) Romans 1:18-32. (2) Romans 2:1-3:20. (3) Romans 3:21-26.
THE FIRST PART OF THE GOSPEL OF THE GRACE OF GOD– Wrath consciousness: is the need for salvation. It is the issue of how we stood in the eyes of God’s justice (i.e.Worthy of God’s Wrath) before salvation, and where all other unsaved men still stand. The first part of the Gospel is designed by God to make sure we understand, we deserve His wrath. To produce wrath consciousness in the minds of those who hear the gospel of the grace of God..
THE SECOND PART OF THE GOSPEL– No one has a self-defense plea that will successfully excuse them from being counted worthy of God’s Wrath. No one will be able to escape the judgement of God by anything they do. Before you can be an effective witness to others, you must understand how the human mind is going to react to the second part of the gospel.
The flesh is going to make excuses and flat-out reject this part of the gospel. You need to be equipped to handle the self-defense tactics that the fleshy mind will come up with. The second part of the Gospel equips the believer to do just that. It’s not until we get to the third part of the Gospel that we get to the “good news” part of the Gospel of the grace of God.
THE THIRD PART OF THE GOSPEL–The glorious good news of God’s gracious provision for the forgiveness of sins, and justification freely offered to all men. This is the part of the Gospel where God tells us, even though we deserve His wrath, He made a way of escape so that we don’t have to experience that wrath! It was accomplished through Jesus Christ on the cross. He was a satisfying propitiation (sacrifice) of Godly Justice. Christ redeemed you with His blood (Eph.1:7, KJV).
Christ put God’s justice in a position where God could give it to you as a (free) gift. If you believe, and trust Christ for your salvation. That is good new folks. No man is going to accept this free gift until he comes into the knowledge that he deserves God’s Wrath. Men must understand, we don’t possess righteousness by nature. And that’s what the first part of the Gospel deals with. The man who is still in Adam, does not have God’s blessings upon his life, rather he has God’s wrath upon his life.
- Romans 1:18, KJV. “For the wrath (anger) of God is revealed from heaven Against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;”
- Ephesians 2:1-3, KJV. (1) “And you hath he quickened (made alive), who were dead in trespasses and sins; (2) Wherein time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience; (3) among whom also we all had our conversation (or manner
of life) in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even ask others.”
- We were by nature, in time past children of disobedience, walking according to the course of this world, SPOE (Satanic plan of evil). We were, by nature (Adams nature), the children of wrath. The course of this world was mapped out, the very moment, sin entered into this world. Men, ever since have been provoking God’s continuous wrath.
- Men, in this dispensation of Grace, are products of God’s wrath. When this dispensation of Grace was brought in, man deserved God’s Wrath. Men were by nature the “vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:” (Rom. 9:22, 23: KJV).
- Acts 14:14-16; KJV. This passage is discussing the issue of men, not giving God the glory. (15) “we also are men of like passions with you and preach unto you that you should turn from these vanities (Idol worship) unto the Living God, (ungodliness).” (16) God, “who in times past suffered (allowed) all nations to walk in their own ways.”
- Acts 17:29,30,31 KJV “And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commanded all men everywhere to repent.” There was a time when “God winked” (looked the other way), at man’s ignorance. The ignorance of the nation’s, not esteeming Him the true and living God. Ignorant of godliness, and going about increasing in ungodliness, and increasing in wrath worthiness. God’s attitude in time past, at man’s ungodliness, was to look the other way ( God winked), but this was past tense.
- (vs 30 cont.) “BUT NOW commandedeth all men everywhere to repent (change your mind). Why? (vs. 31) “Because he (God) hath appointed a day, in the which he (God) will judge the world in righteousness by that man (Christ) whom he has ordained; he has given Assurance unto all men, that he (God) had raised him (Christ) from the dead.”
Notice: Verses 30-31 All three parts of the Gospel in summary form.
III. Romans vss. 18-19, Declaration of God’s wrath upon all men and the reason for it.
THE GUILTY WORLD: THE WRATH (ANGER/OUTRAGE) OF GOD REVEALED. The gospel of the grace of God is revealing, teaching, that men deserve the wrath of God. That’s what men are, “by nature children of wrath,” (Eph. 2:3, KJV), “vessels of wrath fitted to destruction. (Rom. 9:22, KJV). God is holding back His wrath today. But the wrath is coming. If men don’t trust the Lord Jesus Christ as their savior, they will inherit the “wrath of God” (18). “death and hell, the lake of fire, this is the second death.” (Rev. 20:11-15. Everlasting judgment! “And it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment (Heb. 9:27, KJV).
- THE FIRST PART OF THE GOSPEL is designed for men to see themselves as the children of wrath, and increasing in ungodliness, and unrighteousness since the world began. The ungodliness and unrighteousness of man and the choice to remain in it, makes him wrath worthy. He therefore deserves the outrage, the anger, the Wrath of God.
THE UNIVERSE IS A REVELATION (TESTIMONY) OF THE POWER & DIVINITY OF GOD. Romans 1: vs. 19; “Because that which may be known of God was manifest in them; for God hath showed it unto them.” God has shown it unto men. Men who hold the truth in unrighteousness. Men are not ignorant of the truth. Men know it because God has already clearly shown it to them. But men ignored God and have chosen to go on in deliberate ungodliness.Increasing ungodliness and fit for destruction. “Wrath worthiness” is the background of this dispensation of Grace.
- Vss. 20-23. From the creation of the world, the invisible things of God are clearly seen (God’s attributes, character, eternal power, divine nature) and understood by His handiwork, (workmanship) of all creation. (Proverbs 3:19-20, KJV). Provoking God’s wrath from time past, and ever-increasing ungodliness, on and ongoing bases, until now. God has clearly shown to them, so men are without excuse. Mankind today is increasingly unthankful. Godless in their thinking and as a result, their foolish hearts were darkened. Men claim to be wise; they became utter fools. (John 3:19-21, KJV). Instead of glorifying God, man still is today, worshipping idols. Wrath Worthy!
Vs. 24. “GOD GAVE THEM UP”. “TO WALK IN THEIR OWN WAYS” (Acts 14:16). In Time Past, God winked at us Gentiles. Let them go! As a result, that same course of this world (Eph 2:2), that Satan charted for men in Time Past, men are still on, filled with ungodliness and unrighteousness, and their wrath worthiness has increased. To appreciate and recognize ungodliness one must first get a grip on godliness. In Genesis 1:26, KJV, God created man to be a godly creation, in our own image and after our likeness (The Holy Trinity). Godliness means God likeness. God designed man to be a Godly creature. Here, Paul talks about man’s ungodliness.
- “God gave them up” because men committed such vile, ungodly acts. This is a clear picture of man’s wrath-worthiness. Wrath is more than anger; it is the outpouring of “outrage.” God’s Justice. The background of the dispensation of Grace, is God’s outrage. God’s Justice being poured out.
Vs. 24 “Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanliness through the lust of their own Hearts, to dishonor their own bodies between themselves: This is the issue of homosexuality.
Homosexuality is a violation godliness. The body of a human being, whom God made in His own image and after His likeness so horribly violated, that is on godliness.
- Vss. 25-27 Because of man’s ungodliness, and unrighteousness, and the choice to remain in it, he has exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature (Satan) rather than the Creator, who is (God) and blessed forever. (26) For this reason God gave them up to vile (foul) affections, vile (morally disgusting) to God. For even their women exchanged the natural use (function of her body) for that which is against nature (unnatural). (27) And, likewise in the same way also the men leaving (turning away from) the natural use (function) of a woman, burned (were consumed) in their lust (desire towards one another). Men with men working that which is unseemly (committing shameful acts) and in return, receiving in themselves (in their own bodies) that recompense (punishment) of their error, (the appropriate penalty for their ungodliness, and unrighteousness). And because of this violation, wrath is earned and deserved. Deserved Wrath!
- Vs. 28 “And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge (men still don’t see fit to acknowledge God or consider Him worth knowing) as their creator, and so, God gave them over to a reprobate (depraved) mind to do those things which are not convenient (improper and repulsive.) When men hear this gospel, they ought to understand that they are themselves, “vile violations” before the Creator, deserving of the wrath of God. Men need to hear and be taught the truth so they will come to know and acknowledge that they are in a wrath worthy position. Let’s be clear, it’s not what I think about homosexuality, but what does God thinks and says about it?
IV. Romans vss. 29-32 As a result, the world is saturated with all kinds of unrighteousness, and everyone past and present is guilty of some unrighteousness and, hence, is part of this ungodly, unrighteous world that deserves God’s wrathful judgment. Amen.
EXAMPLES OF WRATH WORTHINESS! SEE IF YOUR ON “THE LIST”: VSS 29-32
- Vs. 32 “Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of (deserve) death, not only do the same things but they have pleasure in them who do them.).” The word of God is clear today, men not only know the truth and the judgment of God. They also know that those who do such things deserve death, yet not only do them, but they even enthusiastically approve, applaud, and tolerate them who practice unrighteousness.
- Man has increased in his ungodliness, and wrath worthiness, until he shakes his fist in the face of God and goes on defiantly serving his own lusts and desires of his flesh. He deliberately and
arrogantly, does not fear the outrage of God’s wrath that is upon him. Hebrews 9:27, KJV “And it is appointed unto a men once to die, but after this the judgement:
C. The goal of the first part of the Gospel is, when men hear it, they will realize they are a product of increasing ungodliness and unrighteousness, and our wrath worthy. And men
left to their own unrighteousness are indeed “children of wrath” (Eph. 2:3, KJV,) “vessels of wrath fitted to destruction,” (Rom. 9:22, KJV). “and all our unrighteousness are as filthy rags” (Isaiah 64:6, KJV).
Vss. 29-32 “The Wrath Worthy List” is designed so folk can see themselves in it. Even disobedient children are included in this list and are worthy of God’s Wrath. No one is excluded, no not one!
D. But here is the GOOD NEWS folks! “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord” (Rom. 6:23, KJV). God is holding back His wrath that each of us deserves Today! And He is offering Grace and peace, through the deliverance (from sin) via of the cross work of Christ. God loves you and Christ died for your sins (1 Cor.15:1-3, KJV). And the moment you put your trust in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, you are forgiven your sins of past, present, and future. And you are saved from the wrath to come. The shed blood redeems your soul, and God justifies you (declares you righteous), and sanctifies (sets you apart, makes you Holy), enabling you to bring glory and honor to Him in your living (in the details of your life). Eph. 1:6-7; Rom. 3:24-31, 6:1-13, Eph. 2:8-9, KJV.
E. The first part of the Gospel makes clear the wrath worthiness of man. You must first realize and understand, that you are a sinner deserving the wrath of God. Then you are ready for salvation. God’s desire is, for “all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of Truth.” 2 Tim.2:4, KJV.
Finally, as faithful ambassadors, explaining the plan of God’s salvation is “the thrill of our ambassadorship.” But we need to make sure we understand the depth and reality of God’s Wrath. And also, fully understand the judicial standing as justified saints before God, we now possess. 1.“We have peace with God, 2. and, access into this grace in which we stand. 3. And rejoicing in the hope (the Blessed hope) of the glory of our God, is the exact opposite of Wrath.
ACCEPTED IN THE BELOVED! (Eph. 1:6, KJV) “In the Beloved, God’s marvelous grace, Calls me to dwell in this wonderful place; God sees my Savior and then He sees me, In the Beloved, accepted and free.”