Romans 1:11-13: Overview Lesson -1
INTRO: The Epistle of Paul to the Romans is the first of Paul’s 13 epistles, even though it’s not the first Epistle written by him. It is by God’s design that Romans be the “first- thing- first” in our Christian lives for our edification and establishment.
GOAL OF ROMANS: is to establish the believer and teach him/her who God has made you to be in Christ Jesus.
A. There are two Concepts (ideas) in dealing with the Book of Romans:
1. EDIFICATION/EDUCATION: “to instruct,” “enlighten,” “build up,” “equip,” “to be established.” The idea is “equipping the believer with sound doctrine to the end that he might be “edified’ or “established.” Spiritually mature, functioning Adults.
2. Romans is a FOUNDATIONAL Epistle designed by God for the edification of MCBOC. Therefore, Romans-Galatians contains the Fundamental doctrines (teachings). The “first-things-first,” (the basics, the elementary issues). (Romans is the training wheels for Spiritual growth). “Phonics of Edification.”
B. 1 Cor. 14:1-5; Here we find Paul dealing with the subject of “Spiritual gifts” (chp. 12-14). The Apostle is speaking about “edification” repeatedly.
1. Edification or spiritual growth is “key” in the local assembly.
2. Paul is reproving, correcting Saints because edification isn’t taking place. He repeatedly mentions edification in verses 3, 4, 5, 12 and 17.
3. The issue in the 14th chapter is that, spiritual gifts were being abused. Edification was not in effect, that meant the will of God wasn’t going forward.
NOTICE: We must remember that the church (BOC) was in its infant state (infancy) and Paul had not received the complete revelation yet. The Word of God was incomplete. Therefore, God had given to the Church, “Gifts” for their “edification.” (The diversity of gift’s is recorded in 1 Cor. 12:4-11).
THE PROBLEM: They were abusing their Spiritual gifts & each other (God’s Divine design/pattern wasn’t being followed)! That is when Paul had to step in!
1 Timothy 1:3-4
C. We see Paul is charging (instructing) young Pastor Timothy, that Godly Edification/ Education (instruction) needs to take place among the assembly.
1. Some pastors were straying away from the proper pattern and design that God had laid out for the local church & teaching unsound, corrupt doctrine.
2. Some pastors were being deceived by the “Satanic Plan of Evil” (SPOE), and were being beguiled, bewitched, seduced back under Israel’s program, desiring to teach the law.
3. That’s when & why Paul told Timothy to charge (instruct, command), certain Pastors “that they teach no other doctrine” (vs.3). (Satan’s Plan of Evil was to get rid of Paul & right division. (2 Tim. 2:15.)
4. (vs. 7) “Desiring to be teachers of the Law of Moses even though they don’t understand what they say or claim. And they were trying to teach the Law to Body members . These were Satan’s minister’s (used by SPOE) trying to carry Body members back under Israel’s program. (like preachers today!) The point is this:
*Paul is putting Timothy on notice, that Godly Edification, Instruction, was God’s design for spiritual growth & it was to be taking place in the CBOC.
D. What is Edification or “to Godly edify?”
1. Edify comes from the root word “edifice.”
a. “Edifice” is a building. And “Edification” is a building process. (But Not with earthly materials).
b. It is a building process within your “inner man,” (your soul & spirit) constructed with the God’s Word of Knowledge, Sound doctrine.
c. Edification is education of God’s Word. And by that Education, a house, a structure, a building, an edifice of Knowledge/Truth is constructed in the believer’s soul & spirit. And your “inner man” begins to be “Built Up,” strengthened in the “details of your life,” via “sound doctrine.”
2. Why is this important? Because, God wants each MBOC to be “equipped with Sound doctrine,” Godly instruction, “rightly dividing Truth from Truth! And God wants you to value &
esteem what He values & esteems. God wants us to know His Will & what He is doing Today
3. Why is this important? Because God wants you to experience genuine spiritual growth in our inner man, operating & functioning in the details of our lives.
4. God wants us to grow, be “built up” in His Wisdom, Knowledge of His Will & Spiritual understanding. And with good reason. Spiritual growth produces Fruit:
a. FRUIT of: Doctrinal Unity (1 Cor. 1:10) “that ye all speak the same thing.”
b. FRUIT of: Personal Integrity (Rom. 12:1-3) That ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God.” And be not conformed to this world, but be ye transformed by renewing/mind.” The Word of God effectually (POWER) working in your inner man. Lasting Power! Lasting Peace! Cannot be improved upon! Surpasses understanding!
c. FRUIT of: Corporate/Body Harmony (Gal. 6:10) “as we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.”
E. So, Romans contains the Full Education that God wants the Body Member to have. That’s why God placed the Book of Romans FIRST! It is God’s Divine Design!
NOTICE: Sidebar: Phonics of Edification: Romans the Foundational Epistle, first things first, teaching the believer to value & esteem, understand & appreciate, what God values & esteems. To the end, that we might be established, built up, equipped, spiritually mature.
A *ROMANS 1:11-12; PAUL’S PURPOSE in writing Book of Romans is vs. 11:
“For I long to see you, that I may impart (communicate, share) unto you some spiritual gift (doctrine) to the end Ye may be established (strengthened).”
1. The spiritual gifts that we saw in first Corinthians 14:1-5 were given for the edification, education, Spiritual growth, of the Saints. To the end that they might be established.
2.The doctrine & goal of Romans is to establish you and teach you who God has made you to be in Christ. (God wants you to know your Identity).
3. ESTABLISH, is to lay a foundation (doctrine). It is an edification term, a building term. We know that buildings are sometimes called establishments, “we also have a building process in our sonship edification/education.”
B. Paul wanted to provide for the Roman Saints, the fundamental, foundational doctrines so that they could be built up. That their inner man might be edified, fortified, established with the Word of God.
1. Paul was concerned about the spiritual growth of the Saints, First things first, the fundamentals, the foundational elementary issues.
2. We can win souls for Christ by presenting the simplicity of the Gospel. Salvation: “God loves you and Christ died for your sins.” But after Salvation the first thing we must teach a new believer (I call it the phonics of edification). Teach them Romans. Lay the Foundation! God’s Blueprint for Edification/Design.
3. VERSE 12; “MUTUAL FAITH” That I might be convinced, comforted in my mind, that you and I are on the same page, doctrinal unity, same belief, speaking the same things, No divisions among us, having the same mind, the same judgment, the same pattern of Godly edification based on the same foundation. “that I might have some fruit” among you. (vs.13).
A. 1 Cor. 3:10: PAUL CALLED HIMSELF “A WISE MASTER BUILDER: I HAVE LAID THE FOUNDATION, AND ANOTHER BUILDETH THEREON …TAKE HEED HOW YOU BUILD”
1. As we have seen, before you can build anything, you must lay a foundation first.
2. 1 Tim. 1:16: PAUL REFERRED TO HIMSELF AS “FIRST, A PATTERN.” A pattern of edification for the MCBOC. Paul Already had the foundational doctrine operating in his soul = PATTERN.
3. Paul wanted the same foundational doctrine to resonate (echo, ring true) in the souls of the Saints.
ROM 1:11, “THAT I MAY IMPART UNTO YOU SOME SPIRITUAL GIFT.” In other words, Paul wanted to share, communicate, convey to the Saints the spiritual blessings (teaching them the fundamental, foundational doctrines) of his God given message of grace, for the purpose of establishing them further in the faith.
4. Many of them, (just like new converts today), were experiencing a “first love” phase, the honeymoon (if you will) of conversion. Their faith was “on fire” with the excitement of just being saved. (“It’s important to me that I’m saved.”)
5. But Paul, being the Master Builder, the first, the pattern of edification, would now teach them the fundamental, foundational doctrines, first things first. That is, God’s Divine Design for the edification/education/the spiritual growth process, leading them further into the truth.
6. AGAIN, FOR WHAT PURPOSE? “to the end” (the end of the spiritual growth process, and that’s a lifetime), resulting in their faith being firmly rooted & grounded, (established, like a tree planted by the river of water). Equipping them with sound doctrine, so they experience genuine growth, and that their faith might stand unshakable. “Be not soon shaken in your mind. 2 Thess. 2:1-2. Eph. 4:14
ROMANS. 16:25-27: Paul’s Final closing remarks of Romans is much in the same way, as his stated purpose in the opening chapter 1:11, “To this end you may be established.” Paul’s Purpose & Goal: It is God’s Will that the Saints be Established!
1. And so, Paul closes the Book of Romans with his purpose again: VS 25: “Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel…..” Paul began the epistle (1:11) saying, he wanted the Saints to be “established,” meaning he wanted to “lay a foundation” of fundamental, foundational doctrine, to the end that they might be “established.” In the Faith.
2. Now here in Chp. 16:25, he ends the epistle by saying, “Now to Him (God) that is of power to “stablish” you (to make your foundation stable, secure, strengthen, stabilize), according to my gospel,”
3. Same concept (idea): It is God’s will that we be established (foundation laid) and stablished (stable, secure & strong) . The doctrine working effectually in your inner man. (The power of the Word of God @ work!)
4. It is God’s will that each MCBOC learn the doctrines of Roman’s first, that’s God’s design. The pattern/blueprint is laid out for our edification/education. Therefore, each member has the potential to become full grown Sons & Daughters In the doctrine, with full knowledge, developing into a perfect man, a mature Saint.
5. When Paul speaks about maturity, the believer must have the edification process of Romans laid down first. The phonics of spiritual growth. Don’t miss the phonics: *Method of teaching beginners to read & pronounce words. Value of letters/groups & syllables
6. In verse 25, Paul gives us the list of things we will need for the edification process.
a. MY GOSPEL: The unique and distinctive details in accordance with the dispensation of the grace of God. (death, burial & resurrection & Paul’s ministry to Gentiles.)
b. THE PREACHING OF JC ACCORDING TO (not the Kingdom but) THE MYSTERY (Dispensational Truth). These two Issues comprise the establishment doctrines.
c. It is God’s will, design, and purpose that every believer be established (lay the foundation) first, and then God has the power to stabIish, (stabilize, strengthen, secure) you.”
NOTE: Romans contains the foundational doctrines for the MCBOC. “Now to Him that is of power to stablish you.” GOD’S DIVINE DESIGN, PURPOSE!!!
V. “BABES IN CHRIST.” 1 COR. 3:1-3
1. Paul limited his teaching to the Corinthians because they were having some problems that indicated that they had not been established. These Saints were having problems with their understanding. (Missed Their Phonics=First things First!)
A. So Paul doesn’t treat them as mature Saints and he doesn’t give them “meat doctrines,” advanced building doctrines, he feeds them the sincere “milk of the Word,” (milk doctrine, foundational info.) B. 1 Cor. 2:6 “Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are (mature).” The Corinthians were not perfectly established (mature).
C. Paul is not talking about their standing (position) before God. They have a perfect righteous standing before God. 1 Cor. 5:21 “For he had made him (Christ) to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.”
D. He’s talking about their “spiritual state (condition),” how much doctrine they have learned and how much they have been established. They were saved, renewed men, still walking after the flesh, still being conformed to this world.
E. The Corinthians were carnal men, worldly. Their walk wasn’t consistent with who they were in Christ. They were “justified” before God, but they weren’t living “sanctified, holy” lives. SEE: 2 Tim. 3:5; Having a form of godliness but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. (Wearing a Mask, outward godliness, religious, but conduct denied the faith).
F. Because they weren’t established, Paul could not teach further truths, the wisdom of God. VS 2 “I have fed you with milk, and not with meat:
VI. 1 COR. 3:1-3 (READ)
1. Why did Paul call them “babes in Christ?” Because they were having trouble with the doctrines of Romans, chapters 6, 7 and 8 (sanctification, living holy,) They were indeed Justified before God & dead to sin. But their reality was, that they
were having trouble with indwelling sin & living in it (sin). *They were Saved, but NOT functioning as who God had made them to be in Jesus Christ. And that makes you “functionally dead.” 2. That is why Paul called the Corinthians, Carnal Christians & babes in Christ. They were having trouble with the foundational doctrines of Romans. They were babes in Christ. Babes in their understanding, immature.
3. These Corinthian Saints were not new converts, they had been saved for several years, but as far as the doctrine goes, they were babes. *So, it doesn’t matter how long one has been saved, it matters how much doctrine you have stored up in your inner man. How much Spiritual growth you have acquired.
4. After a while their desire to learn faded and their desire for activity increased. They had a zeal for activity according to the flesh. (Commonly called, “playing church.”) Activity!! Religious System!!
***That is the hallmark (identifying mark) of a carnal Christian. A misplaced desire for activity but NOT edification/ education, spiritual growth. *That drives home the meaning of; 2 Timothy 2:15 doesn’t it? “Study to show yourselves approved of God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed… BEMA! Judgement Seat of Christ!
NOTICE: My point is this, when looking at the Corinthians, I want to underscore the fact, that we are dealing with problems with fundamental, foundational doctrines, edification/education, spiritual growth contained in Romans.
VII. 1 Cor. 3
1. The divine design for edification must be followed! God wants the CBOC to follow his divine design. Paul held back the wisdom of God from the Corinthians because they “were not able to bear it.” Paul held the wisdom of God back.
WHY? A. Because they wouldn’t be able to understand it. B. They wouldn’t be able to appreciate it. C. and they wouldn’t be able to apply the wisdom.
2. READ: 3:2; “I COULD NOT & WOULD NOT.” I couldn’t give you meat then and I’m not going to give you meat now, because
you are still babies and you still need milk. (MILK is for basic nourishment = babies. MEAT Is for growing = healthy children.)
3. Just look at what NO spiritual growth produces: *READ VSS. 3 & 4. (Carnal=worldly, controlled by your sin nature, which produces: envy, jealousy, strife or bitter conflict, causing divisions & disunity.)
Here is the lesson in these verses, folks. A. You DO NOT violate God’s divine design for edification! B. And if you DO violate God’s divine design, edification will NOT take place.
4. The more you understand and appreciate God’s design for edification the more you will experience true Spiritual growth. The more you will understand & appreciate the wisdom of God.
5. While some Corinthian Saints were responding to God’s divine design for edification (2nd Corinthians), the Galatians were having similar fundamental, foundational problems with their edification (Spiritual growth).
VIII. GALATIANS 1:6-7; 3:1.
1. The Galatian’s were removed or had quickly turned away from the gospel of the grace of Christ unto “another gospel, which is not another.”
2. How? SPOE’s, first line of attack (through false teachers, who came in among them with corrupt doctrine, mixing grace with law. Adding the law to the finished work of the cross. Thereby perverting, corrupting the gospel of Christ and bewitched, charmed them, that they should not obey the truth.
3. These Galatians were saved by Grace, but were soon removed from the fundamental, foundational truths that Paul had taught them in Romans. Justification by grace through faith was under attack.
EPHESIANS, 1:1 (READ): The Apostle refers to these Ephesians not only as SAINTS, but as FAITHFUL, FAITHFUL SAINTS in JESUS CHRIST. WHY?
1. EPHESIANS 2:19-22; THESE FAITHFUL SAINTS WERE BUILDING UPON THE TRUE FOUNDATION OF ROMANS-GALATIANS. GOD’S DIVINE DESIGN!
2. Paul is saying to these Faithful Ephesian Saints, not only positionally but also doctrinally in their edification/education process, you are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets.
3. Meaning the foundational doctrine of Romans thru Galatians has already been laid. They have learned (their Identity) who God has made them to be In Christ Jesus, foundationally:
4. They recognized the main two judicial transactions that were made on their behalf the MOMENT they trusted Christ’s Finished Work on the Cross. They now were JUSTIFIED before GOD (declared righteous) & SANCTIFIED; set apart and made holy to live a life that brings honor and glory to God.
5. ESTABLISHMENT, is laying the foundation, the fundamental doctrines (teachings) & gaining a complete understanding and appreciation for who God has made you to be In Christ is the Purpose, the Goal of Romans.
6. FIRST THINGS FIRST: God set Romans First, in the order of Paul’s Epistles so we would start there. And our growth and maturity would start with milk, so that we could handle meat later in the growth process.
7. Our growth Starts with the foundation being laid (Romans -Galatians), so that we can be equipped to build the superstructure later on. And the foundation needs to be firmly laid so that we have a greater understanding and appreciation for it.
8. We must understand Romans -Galatians before we can move on to and fully understand Ephesians- Colossians. The danger in NOT being established is that we will LOOK like the very people Paul warned about in Ephesians 4:14: “That we henceforth (from now on) be no more children tossed to & fro, & carried about with every wind of doctrine….”
9. But rather READ VSS. 12 & 13: THE GOAL OF EDIFICATION: “The Perfecting of the Saints For the work of the ministry, and for the edifying of the body of Christ:
till we all come in the unity of faith, and of the knowledge of the son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ”
Which is the Goal of Edification: “PERFECTING THE SAINTS!” “PERFECTION!” “MATURITY!” “ADULTHOOD!” “FULL KNOWLEDGE!” “WISDOM OF GOD!”
*THE CROSS IS EVER BEFORE ME, (the world, my mistakes, faults, failures, my sins) ARE EVER BEHIND ME. NO LOOKING BACK! NO LOOKING BACK!!
GOD IS NOT ASKING US TO LIVE THE PERFECT LIFE. IN FACT, (because of our sinful flesh) WE CAN’T LIVE IT! FULL STOP!!!
GOD IS ASKING THAT HE MIGHT LIVE HIS PERFECT LIFE THROUGH US, IN OUR JUSTIFIED, SANCTIFIED, EXALTED, POSITIONS IN CHRIST.
ACCEPTED IN THE BELOVED
“In the Beloved” accepted am I, Risen, ascended, and seated on high; Saved from all sin through His infinite grace, with the redeemed ones accorded a place.
“In the Beloved,” God’s marvelous grace Calls me to dwell in this wonderful place; God sees my Savior and then he sees me “In the Beloved,” accepted and free. Ephesians 1:6
*NOTES from ROMANS SURVEY, LESSON # 1
KEITH R. BLADES