“To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God.”
ALL scripture Is for us, but it is not ALL written to us, nor is it ALL about us. Therefore, we must “rightly divide the word of truth” (2 Timothy 2:15), to ascertain (learn, discern) what Gods Will is for CBOC “according to the revelation of the mystery” revealed to Apostle Paul (Rom. 16:25).
In Paul’s 13 Epistles alone we find the doctrine, position, walk and the destiny of the CBOC. The book of Ephesians has been referred to as a Symphony of Gods marvelous Grace in its fullness.
Not even Angels of heaven had any knowledge of this hidden revelation until the conversion of Apostle Paul on Damascus Rd. (Acts 9). “O the depth of the riches both of wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways pass finding out! For who had known the mind of the Lord or who had been his counselor? (Rom. 11:33).
“For by him (Christ) were all things created that are in heaven….” Col. 1:16
Tradition plays a large role in the contemporary (modern day) portrayal of the Angelic host. In fact, some folk even today, believe in guardian angels. This misinformation for the most part, is based on Greek mythology and medieval art. But here again, the Word of God must serve as our Final Authority, all else is merely speculation (human wisdom). Before we can fully appreciate the significance of Paul’s reference to the angelic realm in the above text (Ephesians 3:10), we must first understand more about these heavenly creatures. And the scriptures have a great deal to say about them.
As we know, confusion is predominant when it comes to the subject of Angels. This is even true within the household of faith. So, with God’s help, we shall search the scriptures to determine the origin, number, appearance, nature, and purpose. Most importantly, what is their role today, during the Dispensation of Grace. Let us take a walk through both the Prophetic and Mystery Programs and examine the Angelic Creation.
ORIGIN: ANGELIC CREATION
1. Angels are a product of Gods creative genius.
2. Apostle Paul declares: “For by Him (Christ) were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible…………” Colossians 1:16.
3. Angels are invisible to humanity.
4. Angels are supernatural spirits who reside in the heavenly places.
5. Just like man, Angels are finite (limited) beings, in wisdom, knowledge, authority and power.
6. Even though inferior to God, The Angels in heaven are superior to mankind, (at this time.) Cf. Hebrews 2: 5-8
7. The Angels were present at the dawn of creation as God spoke and the worlds came into existence. They were eyewitnesses to Gods creative acts. Job 38:4-7.
8. Satan rebelled and since “the fall” the Angels are not said to sing again until the redemption of all things. CF. Rev. 5:8-9
NUMBER: OF ANGELS
1. Hebrews 12:22 records, “the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable (endless) company of angels,”
2. One third of this multitude of angels rebelled against God and defected with Satan shortly after creation. Cf. Rev. 12:3-9.
3. This rebellion resulted into the angelic creation falling into 2 major classifications, Elect Angels and Fallen Angels.
4. The number of Elect Angels is fixed, and never increases or decreases. So, when the world says “so and so” died and became an Angel, this is a fabrication (lie) of an unthinking world-Hollywood.
APPEARANCE: OF ANGELS
1. Angels were created ministering spirits cf. Heb. 1:7; 1:14.
2. Angels are sexless: This is evident from the fact that they never marry nor are given in marriage, cf. Matt.22:23-30; Luke 20:34-36. And from the fact that there
APPEARANCE: OF ANGELS, cont.
is no procreation (the production of offspring) among Angels.
3. However, Angels are always represented in the form of a man whenever their appearance is described. Contrary to the imaginations of artists, Angels are never represented as females in scripture.
4. There are 2 orders of Angelic beings that have wings. (a) Cherubims (Ezek. 10:18-21. (b) Seraphims (Isa. 6:1-4). This means, that the majority of Angels do not have wings, which is confirmed by the numerous appearances they made to the Patriarchs, Prophets an Apostles.
5. Although in Time Past, Angels were ministering spirits, they had the ability to transform themselves into human form. Cf. Gen. 19:1-26; Heb. 13:1-2.
NATURE: OF ANGELS
1. While Angels are normally invisible, they frequently appeared in spirit form during biblical days to discharge God’s will. Like man, they possess a personality, intellect, emotions and will.
a. Intellect: Gives Angels the ability to know and reason. Cf. Matt. 28:5-7; The Angel Instructed the women to go tell the disciples that the Lord had risen. The Angel also imparted a revelation: The Lord shall meet them in Galilee.
b. Emotions: It has been said that music is the language of the soul, it is the expression of our feelings. Angels also have emotions. As they beheld God’s handiwork on creation morning the scriptures say: the morning stars (the Angels) sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy. Cf. Job 38:7.
c. ANGELSare caring, sensitive, compassionate beings who are deeply moved at times. “There is JOY in the presence of the Angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.” Luke 1:10.
d. ANGELS are curious: “Which things The Angels desire to look into.” 1 Peter 1:9-12. The Angels are curious as to what God is doing with man. Man was made for the earth, & God’s plan is to repossess the earth with (man-kingdom-Israel). But how is God going to repossess the heavens? This is “The Mystery hid in God” Eph.3:9. The Mystery was God’s divine purpose to make Jew and Gentile, a whole new body, the “one new man” 2:15; 3:6. The Church, which is
Christ’s Body. And the CBOC (we are) going to replace the fallen angels in heavenly places. The point is this, The Angels are seeking knowledge. They didn’t have the mystery knowledge. It was a mystery, the wisdom of God was kept hidden, (Col. 1:26) until now. Now that the revelation of the mystery is revealed through Paul (Eph. 3:3), the Angels are watching you and me. And we’re teaching Angels the manifold wisdom of God according to the eternal purpose. (Eph. 3:10-12; 1:6-10).