Lesson 6 (Review)
This is the last lesson of 6, dealing with Paul’s 1st warning to the CBOC of: “I would not have you ignorant brethren” concerning, Pauline authority and godly edification. Today our emphasis is on “godliness.” It is God’s goal for MCBOC to understand and appreciate, (first), Pauline authority and godly education. This is the mechanical means by which we honor and glorify God, in the details of our lives (Rom. 1:13).
1. God has left us the blueprint, the design for godly edification, from Romans to Philemon, from babes to a mature man, from milk to meat, from the foundation through the roof. And finally, from 1 Timothy to Philemon (pastoral epistles) WHY? “That we (Pastor-throughout fellowship) “may know how we ought to behave ourselves in the House of God, the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.” (1 Tim. 3:1;. 1 Cor. 3:1-; 2 God, is a God of order!
2. Not only was Paul given the office and Authority by God, to be our Apostle (to the Gentiles), he is also our pattern, our chief amongst the MCBOC. And Paul was given the authority to teach, and model before us, godly edification that produces, “godliness.” And this godly edification process is so important until it comes with a warning from Paul himself: 1 Cor. 3:10, “According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation (for BOC-Preach JC-Christ’s ministry from heaven), and another buildeth thereupon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon. For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. (Rom. 11:13; 1 Tim. 1:15-16; 6:5-6;
3. What does it mean to be godly, or God- like-ness? Godliness, is how God created man (Adam) to be in his original plan and purpose, before man sinned and became ungodly. Godliness is not to be confused with the “mystery of godliness.” The mystery of godliness Is taking twice dead Gentiles, dead in sins, and the uncircumcision of our flesh, and Imputing the righteousness of Christ, justified by faith, giving us the Spirit of God. The BOC Is even a mystery to the Angels who we will rule over in Heavenly places. That is our position! 1 Tim. 3:16;
4. But Apostle Paul was concerned about functioning in our identity! And was sent by GOD, to teach us “godliness.” God made sure we have the provisions (supplies) we need for godly education. The body of doctrine found in Romans to Philemon. And we are to take that body of doctrine and study it. Starting with Romans (lay the foundation) along with the teacher, the ministry of the Holy Spirit, teaching us, “the mind of Christ,” so that we can function in godliness, which is thinking like God, doing things God’s way, and laboring with God, The Holy Spirit. 1 Cor.2:16
5. in the book of Ephesians 4:7, (just a glimpse). “But to everyone of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.“ What is the measure of the gift of Christ? it is how much doctrine we have stored up in our inner man. And the only way to get the doctrine in our inner man, is by studying, and understanding God’s word with our minds, and believing it with our hearts, so the truth can produce godliness, effectually in our souls. That is where the power of Christ resides.
6. And now we turn our attention back to the Corinthian saints (1 Cor. 2:6-16); (7) “Howbeit we speak even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory (8). Which none of the Princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. .
7. We (BOC) are a central part of the of revelation of the “hidden wisdom of God.” Paul, is reproving the Corinthian Saints for their weak stance in the faith. They are weak because of their failure to grow in godliness because of their carnality. Paul would not and could not teach them about the hidden wisdom of God, concerning the mystery of Christ. They were babes in the doctrine, they would choke on meat doctrine.
8. Paul said, you must follow the design, follow the pattern, follow the blueprint for edification. *The grace doctrine can puff us up if we’re not careful, (Illustration) to the point where we forget about the edification process, and we tend to want to show off our knowledge, our flesh gets in the way. Godliness is thinking like God, and doing it God’s way, thus co laboring with God, the Holy Spirit. Recognizing Paul authority and sticking with the godly edification process.
9. Paul says “But the natural man receive is not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness with him neither can he know them. Why? Because, they are spiritually discerned (recognized). (1 Cor.2: 1).
But God has revealed them unto us by his spirit, for the spirit searches all things, yay the deep things of God. The spirit of God communicates, reveals to our spirit, the hidden mystery wisdom of God, and knowledge of God’s will, then spiritual understanding in the deep things of God. The carnal believer, natural man, unsaved man, cannot know, or discern the deep things of God. (10).
10. The spiritual man understands Pauline apostleship and authority, and wants, desires edification that produces godliness. The spiritual man is hungry for godly edification and sees the value in it, and God has provided for each member of the BOC, but God isn’t going to force you to get educated in godliness.
11. What was the deal on these Corinthian Saints (I tell you God has a design to study His book). The Corinthian’s had ”unteachable spirts!” Paul could not teach them the “hidden
wisdom of God.” They were carnal and they had a negative response to sound doctrine. Which caused envying, strife, arguments, disputes, divisions. Even though they were justified, they walked as natural men. they were concerned with the outer man instead of the inner man. They looked and acted just like religious folks. Following the course of this world, exalting Satan’s Kingdom. The Corinthians were justified but they were not godly, because godly edification was not taking place, & they rebelled against Pauline authority! No wonder it took Paul 18 months to feed the Corinthians with milk doctrine.
12. So what is the point brother of this first doctrine, that we spent 6 weeks studying? Paul wants us to understand and appreciate the essential need for Pauline authority & godly education. The blueprint has been laid out for us to follow. The instructions, the process on how to lay the foundation has been given from Romans to Philemon. It is up to us to follow the design. Remember, the order of the growth process we all started out on, was milk, and gradually we are approaching meat.
“Till we all come into unity of faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto.” a perfect man.” Brother blades told us, Ephesians contains advanced, superstructure doctrine for perfect, mature, fully grown Saint, (MEAT!) We do not need to be in the Pastoral epistles when you do not even understand Romans. (1 Cor. 15:33-34 is a WARNING: “be not deceived: evil communications (bad doctrine) corrupt good manners, awake (o sleeper) to righteousness, and sin not, for some have not the knowledge of God, I speak this to your shame. * Because of the Angels desire to look into the body of Christ, we must honor Pauline authority and godly edification. We don’t want, after we have taught; to be told at the Judgment Seat of Christ, “This to your shame!
One thought on “Essential Doctrines # 6”
To God be the Glory, my brother. Keep the extensions of the teachings coming forward. Your summaries are very concise which is very helpful to me.
LikeLiked by 1 person